Archivist; Archival Reference & Outreach; Business & Labor History & Railroad Collections
LOCATIONArchives & Special Collections
DEPARTMENTArchives & Special Collections
Laura Smith has served as an archivist in the UConn Archives since March 1999, overseeing the Business History, Railroad, Labor and Professional Organization collections as well as the Connecticut Historic Preservation Collection. She worked as a Manuscripts Curator at Virginia Tech from 1987 to 1999. She received her M.A. in Library Science from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and her A.B. in History from Kenyon College.
Areas of Expertise
- Archival Reference
- Donor Relations Outreach Services
- Web page maintenance
- Social media
- Digital Repository -- ingest and records creation
- Speaker at “Virtual Conversations: Fall Edition, 2020,” a conference of the Center for Railroad Photography and Art, September 19, 2020.
- “Wartime Travel May Cause You Inconvenience: How the New Haven Railroad Sought to Mollify Passenger Complaints with The Rider’s Digest During World War II.” Railroad Heritage, Fall 2020 issue, no. 4.
- “The Kid in Upper 4,” Connecticut Explored. Vol. 18, no. 4, Fall 2020.
- Society of American Archivists
- New England Archivists
- Connecticut League of History Organizations (member of board of advisors, 2016 to present)
- Railway & Locomotive Historical Society (member of board of advisors, 2013 to present)