Interlibrary Loan FAQ
- Who may use Interlibrary Loan?
- How do I submit a request?
- What can I request?
- How many requests can I submit?
- How much does it cost me?
- How long does it take?
- How do I know when my request arrives?
- Can I renew my ILL?
- How do I return my ILL?
- I have more questions. Who do I contact?
Who may use Interlibrary Loan?
- UConn Health faculty, staff, and students
- Affiliated community faculty with a Library Barcode
- Health professionals from Connecticut Children’s Medical Center
- Unaffiliated libraries, businesses, and health professionals
How do I submit a request?
- Login to ILLiad on the Interlibrary Loan page.
- Once logged into ILLiad, under New Request (left side), select the type of item you need, fill out the form, and click Submit.
First time using Interlibrary Loan? View the Interlibrary Loan tutorial.
What can I request?
- Book chapters
- Journal articles
- Scans of items in our collection
Requests must be related to research, education, or clinical activities at UConn Health.
How many requests can I submit?
For items in our collection: Up to five per day.
How much does it cost me?
UConn Health faculty, staff, and students:
- There is no charge.
Unaffiliated libraries, businesses, and health professionals:
- Basic charges range from $20-$25 per article or book loan, depending if the organization is non-profit or for profit.
- AV loans are $20-$25 depending if the organization is non-profit or for profit.
How long does it take?
Books usually arrive in two weeks or less and scans of articles or book chapters in a week or less.
Delays are possible and how long it takes depends on the library we are requesting from and shipping times.
How do I know when my request arrives?
You will receive an automated email when your item may be picked up at the library’s Information Desk or an email with a link to view the requested article(s).
You must pick up books within a week from the day you are notified before they are returned to the lending library.
Can I renew my ILL?
Renewals and loan periods depend on the policies of the lending library.
Please check the slip attached to the book to determine if it can be renewed or contact the Interlibrary Loan department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-679-2940.
How do I return my ILL?
Please bring the item(s) you wish to return to the Information Desk or place them in the book drop just outside the library (near the elevators).
I have more questions. Who do I contact?
Please contact the Interlibrary Loan department at email@example.com or 860-679-2940. We’re happy to assist you!