Search digital collections from UConn Library and more than 40 educational and cultural institutions from around the state in the Connecticut Digital Archive.
Search descriptive guides, inventories, and finding aids for UConn Library's archival and manuscript collections in ArchivesSpace.
Reading Room Policies
Archives & Special Collections is located in the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center on the University of Connecticut Storrs campus and is open to the public without fee. Collection materials are made accessible in the John P. McDonald Reading Room.
Permission to examine materials will be granted to all persons who read and agree to comply with the Rules Governing the Use of Materials, complete the registration form, and provide valid photograph identification (preferably a driver’s license or UConn ID).
The McDonald Reading Room is a supervised area in which researchers may examine collections held by Archives & Special Collections. Rules governing the use of materials are designed to protect and to secure the collections and to preserve collection materials for future research use. Use of the reading room is solely for the purpose of consulting collection materials and is not for general study.
Please observe the following:
• Use pencils only
• No food or drink, including cough drops, candy and chewing gum
• No bags, including purses, laptop and camera cases
• No overcoats
• Keep your voice down in the reading room
• Set cell phones to mute or vibrate. If you need to take a call please leave the reading room and speak in the building lobby.
• Make sure documents rest fully on the work surface
• Turn pages from the top of the document
• Limit handling of documents, do not write on or trace materials
• Do not fold pages
• Maintain the order of loose papers in folders
• Use paper markers to keep your place
• Use book cradles to support the spine of volumes
• Use weights provided to keep oversized documents in place
• Avoid placing anything on the document (especially elbows)
• Use of camera flash and tripods may be limited; no use of additional lighting or supports, other than those supplied by staff
Please notify the staff if you find torn or very fragile items in the collections that should be removed for repair. If book pages are uncut, notify staff and do not separate them yourself.