Latin American, Caribbean, Iberian & Latino Studies Microform Serials & Collections
Compiled by Darlene Waller
Revised March 1999 with assistance from José Crespo
Revised December 4, 2017 by Marisol Ramos
All microfilm serials are located on Level 3 and are shelved alphabetically by title. All federal government microfiches are located in Level B For the whole listing of microfilms titles in the library with holding lists, check http://www.lib.uconn.edu/research/collections/microform/microformguide.pdf
The Babbidge Library (Level B) has two ScanPro 2000 microform scanners. Microfilm and microfiche can be viewed on a 24″ monitor and scanned for free into PDF. PDFs can then be emailed, saved to a flash drive, or printed to our network printers at a cost of $.10/page. Features of the ScanPro 2000
- El Buscapié (San Juan, P.R. : 1877) 1877:abr.-1896:jun., 1917:oct.-1919:jun.
- Cuba Socialista, 1-7; (1961-1967)
- La Democracia (Ponce, P.R. : 1890) 1891:07-1950:07 [some years incomplete]
- Diario de Yucatán (Mérida, México: 1925) 1941:Apr.-1990:Dec. With gaps. Shelved as: Mexico. Mérida. Diario de Yucatán
- Guatemalteco. Diario de Centro America, (Guatemala) Jan. 1970-Oct. 1993
- Imprensa Popular (Brazil), 1951:01-1958:08
- El Mundo (Puerto Rico), 1919:02-1950:12 [some years incomplete]
- The Digital Library of the Caribbean had digitized part of El Mundo (March 1928, Jan. 1936 – Nov. 1939)
- Mundo Peronista (Argentina) July, 1951-Aug., 1955
- Obra Revolucionaria (Cuba), May, 1960-July, 1965
- Puerto Rican Labor Press (See entry below for details)
- Revista de Cuba (Havana, Cuba: 1877) Vols. 1-16, 1877-1884
- Revista Cubana (Havana, Cuba : 1885) Vols. 1-21, 1885-1895
- Revista Cubana (Havana, Cuba : 1935) Vols. 1-31, 1935-1957
- Nueva Revista Cubana (Havana, Cuba : 1959) Vols. 1-2, 1959-1962
- Trabajo (Cuba), May, 1960-1964
- Cambio 16, (Spain), 1988-1990: Jan – Nov
- Caribbean Review, 1-16; (1969-1990:07)
Microfilm Collections (The following are all located on Level 3)
Bolivia. Collection of newspapers from Bolivia from the Latin American Newspapers Collection microfilmed thanks to a grant from CRL’s Latin American Materials Project (LAMP)
- El Diario (La Paz, Bolivia), 1904-1914
- El Imparcial (La Paz, Bolivia), 1888
- La Industria (Sucre, Bolivia), 1881-1908
- La Patria (La Paz, Bolivia) 1880-1886
- La Estrella del Oriente (Santa Cruz, Bolivia), 1879-1886
- El Heraldo (Cochabamba, Bolivia), 1877-1908
- La Estrella de Tarija (Tarija, Bolivia), 1876-1892
- El Trabajo (Tarija, Bolivia), 1882-1982
Shelved as: Latin American Newspapers
Also, these newspapers are available online through the World Newspaper Archive – Latin American Newspapers Database
Chile. Colección de Documentos para la Historia de la Oposición Política al Estado Autoritario en Chile, 1973-1981
Microfiche cabinets, alphabetically by collection title
CIA Research Reports: Latin America: CIA reports, memos, and cables on situations and conditions in Latin America, 1946-1976. Index: CIA Research Reports: Latin America 1946-1976. Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table.
Colonial Latin American manuscripts and transcripts in the Obadiah Rich Collection. 1492-1843. The Rich Collection, held in the New York Public Library, contains documents from 1492-1843pertaining to Latin America. (33 reels) A guide to the collection can be found at: Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table. or Online Index: http://microformguides.gale.com/BrowseGuide.asp?colldocid=3011000&Page=1
Extranjeros. (Foreigners in Puerto Rico), 1815-1845. Reproduces Spanish royal decrees and papers of individuals. Each reel begins with list of names of individuals for that reel.
The Iran – Contra Affair, The Making of a Scandal, 1983-1988. Microfiche cabinet, alphabetically by collection title. Guide and Index available at Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table, 2 vols.
Latin American Research Program.— Includes: Imprensa Popular (Jan. 3, 1951-Aug. 2, 1958); Acao Socialista (1958:12-1960:08); A luta (1948:01-1948:08); O Popular (1948:08-1948:11); Orientation Socialista; Brazilian Socialist and Communist Ephemera.
Latin America Special Studies Series: OSS/State Department intelligence and research reports on Latin America, 1941-1961 initiate this series. The Special Studies reports that followed (1962 – 1988) feature extensive research on significant topics. The reports were commissioned by the U. S. Government from private and public policy research facilities.
Latin America OSS/State Department, 1941-1961
Latin America: Special Studies, 1962-1982
Latin America: Special Studies, 1980-1982
Latin America: Special Studies, 1982-1985
Latin America: Special Studies, 1985-1988
Index: Latin America: Special Studies 1941-1988, Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table
Memoria. Puerto Rico: Puerto Rican politics and government from the Diputacion Provincial 1887-1898. (1 reel)
Mexican Boundary Commission Papers of John Russell Bartlett. Papers (correspondence, official dispatches, personal journal) of John Russell Bartlett as he traveled through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Mexico, and California in drawing the boundary between Mexico and the U.S., 1850-1853.
Index: The Mexican Boundary Commission Papers of John Russell Bartlett, 1850-1853. Index located on Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table
Mexico. Biblioteca Nacional. MSS 1628 (Cantares), 1492 (Epistolas), 1477 (Miscelanea): A selection of 15th – 17th century Mexican religious chants and epistles from the Mexican National Library manuscripts and collections. (1 roll).
Index: Mexico. Biblioteca Nacional. MSS 1628 (Cantares), 1492 (Epistolas), 1477 (Miscelanea), Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table.
México. Dirección General de Estadística. Censo General de la República Mexicana, 1st – 5th, 1895-1930. Reels organized chronologically.
México. Dirección General de Estadística. Censo de Población, 6th census of population of Mexico, 1941-1948. Reels organized chronologically.
Mexico. Independent Mexico in Newspapers, the 19th-Century: The Homer Babbidge Library’s collection of Independent Mexico in Newspapers, the 19th-Century consists of newspapers that were published mainly in the Distrito Federal. Some titles published in Mexican cities from different states are also included. 1812-1900.
- Reels 103-262 All titles from the Distrito Federal: Mexico City
- 270-275 (275 partial) Mexican States
- 275-284 Distrito Federal: Mexico City Within each Distrito Federal or Mexican State, newspapers are arranged alphabetically by title
Indexes: Independent Mexico in Newspapers, the 19th-Century Guide to the Microfilm Set Mexico. Independent Mexico in Newspapers, the 19th-Century. A Reel Guide to the Holdings, Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table
Papers of the United Farm Workers Organizing Committee, 1959-1970 Index, Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table-
Online Index: http://microformguides.gale.com/Data/Download/8394000C.pdf
Collections of the United Farm Workers of America. Series 2, Papers of the United Farm Workers of America Work Department, 1969-1975
Index: Electronic version at http://microformguides.gale.com/Data/Download/9217000C.pdf
Paraguay. Collection of newspapers from the city of Asuncion, Paraguay published in the 1890s from the Latin American Newspapers Collection and microfilmed thanks to a grant by the Latin American Materials Project (LAMP).
- La Opinión (Dec.7,1894-Dec.31,1895 [Lacks Oct.16,1895])
- La Patria (Apr.19-June 8,1894)
- El Pueblo (Feb.5,1894-Dec.31,1895.)
- La Unión (June 11-Nov 30,1894.)
Shelved as: Paraguay
Princeton University Latin American Pamphlet Collection
- Chronological within each topical reel.
- Rolls Nos. 1–3 Politics in Cuba
- (1) Broadcast Transcripts of Radio Rebelde, July 1957– December 1958
- (2-3) Documents of the Movimiento 26 de Julio, May 1957–December 1958
- Roll No. 8 Socioeconomic Conditions in Cuba
- Suplemento, Lista Oficial de Precios: Precios de empresa produccion nacional, 1981;
- Cuban Economic Conditions, 1938-1988.
- Roll No. 14 Government in Cuba
- Cuban Foreign Relations, 1950–1962
- Rolls Nos. 1–3 Politics in Cuba
Complimentary to this microfilm collection, Princeton University recently digitized part of this ephemera collection and made it freely accessible at the Digital Archives of Latin American and Caribbean Ephemera
Puerto Rican Labor Press (1892-1934): Includes:
- Ilustración Puertorriqueña
- Revista Obrera
- Unión Obrera
- Puerto Rican Workingmen Journal
- Luz y Vida and other titles
Index: Puerto Rican Labor Press. Eric Perez Collection, Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table
Puerto Rico. Estadística General del Comercio Exterior de la Provincia de Puerto Rico, 1862-72, 1874, 1883-1897: General statistics of the foreign trade of Puerto Rico, 1862-1897, compiled by Intendencia General de Hacienda.
- Reel 1 ….. 1862-1872, 1874
- Reel 2 ….. 1883-1890
- Reel 3 ….. 1891-1893
- Reel 4 ….. 1894-1897
Puerto Rico. Gaceta de Puerto Rico: Puerto Rico’s first newspaper was the official organ of the government featuring decrees, edicts, and governmental records. First published in 1807, the paper continued for the paper continued for 91 years. 1810-1818, 1820-1823, 1826-1829.
- Reel 1 1810-1814 Gaceta de Puerto Rico
- Reel 2 1815-1818 Gaceta de Puerto Rico
- Reel 3 1891-1893 Gaceta del Gobierno Constitucional de Puerto Rico
- Reel 4 1894-1897 Gaceta del Gobierno Constitucional de Puerto Rico
- Reel 4 1826-1829 Gaceta del Gobierno Constitucional de Puerto Rico
Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Series II: Section 7 & 8, The South Atlantic and the Caribbean: Materials on the British and former Spanish and French colonies lying to the east and southeast of North America including bloody revolts and great men (Section 7) 1658-1925. Rare documents on topics such as slavery and French law are covered in Miscellany, Section 8, 1666-1852. (10 reels). Index: Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture; Series II, Section 7. The South Atlantic and the Caribbean, 1658-1925; Series II, Section 8. A Miscellany, 1666-1852. Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table.
Spanish Drama of the Golden Age: 3,200 plays of the Spanish Golden Age, in editions of the seventeenth through the early nineteenth centuries. Index: Spanish Drama of the Golden Age. Index located on Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table.
Online Index: http://microformguides.gale.com/BrowseGuide.asp?colldocid=2052000&Page=1
The United States and Castro’s Cuba, 1950s-1970s: the Paterson Collection: Declassified documents provide yearly, monthly, sometimes daily accounts of the diplomatic, economic, military, and cultural relationship of the US and Castro’s Cuba. Also includes political, news, and corporate reports. Index: United States and Castro’s Cuba 1950s-1970s, the Paterson Collection: Guide to the Scholarly Resources Microfilm Edition. Index located on Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table
U.S. Bureau of the Census. Census of Population. Puerto Rico. Arrangement: Alphabetical by state and then chronological
- 1910, 13th Census
- 1920, 14th Census
U.S. Bureau of the Census: Schedules of the 1935 special censuses of Puerto Rico. Agriculture Schedules, 136 reels: Agriculture Schedules provide information about the operator or manager of each farm; farm ownership, acreage, value, and debt; number of farm buildings and inhabitants; production of crops for sale; number and kind of domesticated animals; and farm machinery.
Arrangement: Schedules area arranged alphabetically by municipality, then by enumeration district number. Index: U.S. Bureau of the Census, Special Censuses of Puerto Rico, 1935, Agriculture Schedules: A Reel Guide. Index located on Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table.
U.S. Bureau of the Census: Special Censuses of Puerto Rico, The Social and Population Schedules, 1935-1936, 82 reels: For each inhabitant, provides the name, place of residence, family relationship, sex, color, age, marital status, place of birth and occupation. Also covers school attendance, literacy and employment. Arrangement: Schedules area arranged alphabetically by municipality, then by enumeration district number. Index: U.S. Bureau of the Census, Special Censuses of Puerto Rico, 1935-1936, Social and Population Schedules: A Reel Guide. Index located on Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table. Online index also available.
U.S. Bureau of Insular Affairs. Index to Official Documents Relating to Cuba and the Insular Possessions of the U.S., 1876-1906: This microfilm collection from the National Archives (M-24) reproduces a three volume index to official documents covering the entire period of the American Military Governments in Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippine Islands. Also covers the early years of Civil Government in Puerto Rico and the Philippines, 1876-1904.
- Reel 1: A-Z 1876-1904
- Reel 2: J-Z & Appendix 1876-1904
- Reel 3: A-Z & Appendix 1904-1906
U.S. State Dept. Internal Affairs of Mexico, 1910-1929.Records of the Department of State relating to internal affairs of Mexico.
Index: Records of the Department of State Relating to Internal Affairs of Mexico, 1910 -29, Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table.
United States State Department: Decimal File
- Records relating to the Internal Affairs of Cuba, 1910-1929.
- Records relating to the Internal Affairs of the Dominican Republic, 1910-1929.
- Records relating to the Internal Affairs of the Dominican Republic, 1930-1939.
Arrangement: Decimal system; largely chronological.
Indexes: Located at Babbidge Microform Research Guides Table.
- U.S. State Dept. Decimal File. Cuba-Internal Affairs 1910-29.
- U.S. State Dept. Decimal File. Dominican Republic-Internal Affairs 1910-29.
- U.S. State Dept. Decimal File. Dominican Republic-Internal Affairs 1930-39.
U.S. Foreign Broadcast Information Service. (FBIS) Daily Report: Latin America. Provides English translations of news from thousands of non-US media sources gathered from international political speeches, television programs, radio broadcasts, newspapers articles, periodicals, and books. 1974 – 1987.
Location and Arrangement:
- Daily report./ FBIS
- Microfiche: Level B / Federal Microfiche Collection / U.S. SuDocs PREX 7.10
- Vols. for 19 – numbered FBIS-LAT; <7 Sept. 1979>-19 numbered FBIS-LAM; <16 Dec. 1987-> numbered FBIS-LAT.
- Daily Report: Latin American reports began with Apr. 1, 1974.
- Microfiche: Level B / Federal Microfiche Collection / U.S. SuDocs PREX 7.10
U.S. Military Intelligence Reports.
- Argentina, 1918-1941. (reel 1-4)
- Mexico, 1919-1941 (reel 1-9)
- U.S. Military Intelligence Reports, Argentina 1918-1941.
West Indies History: No longer available in microfilm but it is available online at the Internet Archives
- Histoire de la Guadeloupe, 1685-1830, Auguste Lacour. Vols. 1-4.
- The History of the Island of Antigua, One of the Leeward Caribbees in the West Indies, from the First Settlement in 1635 to the Present Time, Vere Langford Oliver. Vols. 1-3.
- Les Antilles Françaises: Particulièrement la Guadeloupe, Depuis Leur Découvert, Jusqu´au 1st November, 1825, Eugène-Édouard Boyer-Peyreleau. Vols. 1-3, Second Edition.
This page is maintained by Marisol Ramos