MusicThe following sites provide some guidance for the use of music in performances, projects, and publications.
- Digital Audio Reserves: Copyright Policy
- Copyright Resource Center -- Music Publishers' Association of the United States and others.
- Historical Recording Coalition for Access and Preservation (HRCAP) -- "Established in 2008 to advocate for changes in U.S. copyright law to enable
better preservation of and access to America’s rich recorded heritage, without harming the legitimate interests of creators."
- Licensing and/or Performing Arts Organizations
- ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers). ACE Title Search
- BMI (Broadcast Music Inc.). Repertoire Search.
- SESAC (Society of European Stage Authors and Composers). SESAC Repertory.
- For brief explanation, see UT Austin's Permissions page (scroll down to Music Performance).
Performance Licenses (Brown) -- Summarizes the
benefits and limitations of university ASCAP, BMI,
and SESAC's licenses.
- Music Publishers
Association Copyright Resource Center
-- Extensive site for printed music. Includes Music Publishing and You, Copyright Search Center,
licensing organization, forms for requesting permissions,
FAQs, guides, and links to other copyright information.
- PD Info: Music in the Public Domain -- Explains PD and helps identify public domain songs and music. Points to other resources. Also discusses royalty-free music (for presentations, advertising, etc.).