Members of the University of Connecticut archery club, 1951
The University of Connecticut in Kodachrome, 1939-1959
Homer Babbidge Library Gallery on the Plaza
Curators: Kristin Eshelman and Betsy Pittman
Kodak introduced Kodachrome Film, the first commercially successful color film, in 1935, and made 35mm film available by 1936. This innovation gave amateur photographers the ability to capture the world around them in living color.
It is likely that Jerauld Manter, faculty member and unofficial college photographer, took the color photographs in this exhibit in and around the University of Connecticut between 1939 and 1959. The prints on display were made from his original Kodachrome 35mm color slides and reflect the remarkable stability of this film over time.
Manter's photogarphs capture a period of significant growth in UConn's history, beginning with its establishment as the multi-campus University of Connecticut in 1939. The next two decades saw the development of the Hartford, Stamford, Torrington and Waterbury regional campuses and the Schools of Law, Nursing and Social Work. The student body expanded by 300% after World War II, growing from 1,265 in 1939 to 9,761 in 1959.